Sunday, November 6, 2011

Danny Velasquez , "The Man and His Music" at 80

The celebrity pianist of his generation and performing on TV Shows in his younger years, my Uncle Danny Velasquez will be celebrating a birthday concert on November 11, 2011.


  
My first cousin Danny is celebrating his 80th b-day on 11.11.11. His loving family has prepared something unique & memorable for this momentous event. One gets a hint of this on the kind of invitation that he sent.  Indeed, I am anxious to find out. My blood relationship with him is very close. In law parlance it is in the first civil degree of consanguinity or first cousin on my father's side. My father and his mother are brother and sister that's why.

"Manong Danny", as we fondly call him, is a man of many talents. Among others, he is a lawyer by profession (pre-law Ateneo, law proper U.P.), a pianist by avocation. Indeed, this two persona dwells prominently in him as although he was busy in the corporate world, he had time for his music.

In his younger days, he had a TV show together with his friends who were also professionals & musicians at the same time. Of course he was the pianist in the group. I recall it was Dee Marquez, a popular TV personality at that time, who hosted that show. 


He has had two(2), yes two, heart by-passes already and as a result his speech is slurred. But he continues with his music even if he had undergone some of life's heavy challenges and the more my silent admiration for him increases. He had inspired me in more ways than one.

Happy 80th birthday Manong Danny and may you have more to come. 

God bless! 
~ Written by my dad (Atty. Nestor T. Corpuz)

Uncle Danny Corpuz -Velasquez, is a very dear Uncle to me. He has always been supportive of my singing.  In his healthier and younger days, he would play the piano at our QC house and I would sing along.

When I was a kid he would always attend my singing competitions.  He was there when I won 1st place in an inter-school singing competition held at Ateneo Gradeschool when I was 12.  He was holding my trophy so tight as if he also had won and his smile never faded even after we left the venue. He was also there when I lost as a finalist when I was 14 in the National level of NAMCYA (National Music Competition for Young Artists) for Vocal Solo held at U.P. Wilfrido Guerrerro Theater and I also saw the sadness filled on his face.  In almost every singing engagement I had, whether I performed well or badly, he was there

This was when he was in his healthier years.

I have not seen him very often since then.  He got weak and suffered 2 heart attacks but still survived. He once called the house landline and explained to me that he almost died.  He was asking if my sister Nina who works at ABS-CBN has connections with Jericho Rosales because he wanted a surprise gift for his partner Lita to meet the actor in person.  That is how he loved Lita so much (who had a crush on Jericho). And yes, Lita was able to meet the actor Jericho Rosales thereafter.

Uncle Danny is turning 80 and I am glad and proud despite the speech defect and 2 heart bypasses he went through, his hands can still play and will once again produce the wonderful music we used to hear.

WHERE: Urdaneta Village, Clubhouse Makati
WHEN: November 11, 2011
TIME: 5:30PM - Thanksgiving Mass
             630 PM - Celebration of Music
             
Happy Birthday Uncle Danny and may God continue to shower you more his choicest blessings! ;)

P.S. If interested to watch, please call Lita, Twiggy or Vicky at the contact numbers posted in the picture below.

No comments: